Pages

Friday 21 March 2014

Squirreling

A succession of nasty cold showers is keeping me indoors today and not before time as the housework has deferred to the call of the garden in these dry spring days and more importantly I owe myself some creative time.  One Christmas several years ago my daughter gave me a beautiful notebook ~ you know the sort, gorgeous turquoise and gold silk padded cover with a folding catch and button, hand made paper with flowers incorporated and tissue between the leaves. It came in a silk bag, fragile as a butterfly's wing, of mossy green, ochre and ivory. 'I thought you could use it for your recipes and remedies..' she said... Of course it has been far too good to use. Does anyone else suffer from this stupid affliction? Anything I really like ~ clothes, fabrics, good watercolour paper, jewellery, gets squirreled away unused in case it gets spoiled. Admittedly this is a very real possibility with me but I do have a 'zone' where I can be careful and gentle and this zone is also squirreled away like heavenly treasure, too good for me, too good for this ordinary day with all its muddy demands and noisy opinions.
    Lately I've been noticing that a great deal of the stuff in charity shops and market stalls bears an uncanny resemblance to some of my hoardings.. Nothing looks so precious when it's piled up on a trestle table on the street or shoved in a box in a saleroom...No, I have to bite the bullet, admit that I'm not going to live forever and start using this stuff and leave heaven for some properly worthwhile treasures.
  In the light of this, my lovely notebook is out of its bag, dripping with rose quartz and whatever magics I can muster, waiting for me to commit my charms and potions to its pristine pages..perhaps when I've cleaned the bathroom...
  The garden can look after itself today but it's a pretty good leaf day if the the weather's good where you are. .I'll be sowing some herbs later on this sidereal Scorpio Moon day, things I can leave outside without worrying about the cold; Parsley,Dill and Coriander and some Salad Bowl lettuce and Corn Salad. Late afternoon is best for this both today and tomorrow.

1 comment: