Pages

Thursday 20 February 2014

perplexity and peace

I'm grateful for dentists ~ honestly! I know that without them life would be a lot more painful and horrible...can you tell I'm trying ever so hard not to complain about the challenges of impressions and extractions...and having to eat cold cauliflower cheese very, very slowly. I'm also grateful for anaesthesia, but I don't much enjoy that either... As a matter of fact, in this respect,my usual blatant disregard for injury deserts me totally - well it's self inflicted normally so that's ok!
    I remember my friend Dan who was trollied off for cancer surgery laughing, saying that the dentist still reduced him to a nervous wreck and so it is with me, nothing else comes close...Still, I'm grateful for dentists, honestly!
             Gradually the world outside is beginning to dry up, the sweet peas are spending the daylight hours outside now, the tomatoes are up and I'm hoping for a dry spell over the weekend to get a patch dug for shallots and garlic and to get some salads started. It's a flower day tomorrow Moon gardeners (sidereal Libra/air sign astro peeps) so I'll be sowing some aquilegia and gypsophila  in the propagator.     
 
 
Today I'm grateful for peace. Our country is being run by a bunch of crazies and I don't expect that to be changing in a hurry, but so far,thank heavens, my life and that of most of us alive in Britain today has been lived without the daily horrors and deprivations of war. As a child in the early sixties I used to hear heavy planes droning overhead as I lay in the huge iron bedstead of my Grandmother's  spare room and quake with terror waiting for the dreaded 'atom bomb' to explode. I'd heard my Nan and Fred the Baker discussing this phenomenon in some detail when I should have been elsewhere ~ invisibility was one of my several talents ~ I never told them that I was scared but I still remember the terror, night after night as the planes came in low to a wartime RAF station nearby.  Last year, I was following Harry Fear's late night broadcasts from Gaza as Operation Pillar of Cloud took place a world away. Drones endlessly circled the city all the long, dog barking night and I got just a whiff of the same feeling. With today's atrocities reeling across the TV screen, I'm feeling more grateful and privileged than I can say that I have lived my life in relative peace.

2 comments:

  1. It is so easy to dwell on the negative, especially with the World news every day, but we do have alot to be grateful for and the hint of spring and lengthening days gladdens the heart. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete